So it's been a month already since my last contribution. Kinda reminds me of those new years resolutions to 'run on the treadmill/ride the exercise bike every day'. I've had my head in the books most of the time, skipping readings to work on a paper lately. My first of three is done. Next up is one on time, ethics, and photography. Kind of like my thesis on a stick. I think I am mainly interested in time and memory because of my brain injuries. Academic interests tend to be this way, rooted in personal histories.
I'm psyched to move, but it is not distracting me. This is good. I might have to carry my paper on messengering into Ottawa, but this will be manageable. Much better than the two I had to do there after Ronan was born; that was brutal. I expect a flurry of activity once I arrive, but the dust should settle by the time we roll out on Sunday morning to ride from Almonte. I've been looking forward to the Roubaix since I decided to do it over a year ago. I'm weird like that. Gotta live in the now.
I don't have any thoughtful tidbits to share at the moment. I'm too focussed on keeping everything in the air at the moment. I can share my observation that many of the weirdos on bikes are out now. Lots of guys who like to do skids: "Check mon skid!" Also, asshole drivers are back at it with thieir Villeneuve styles now that the weather is nice. I love that. I have fantasies of smashing cars with my U-lock from time to time; but I am pretty sure I won't. You never know.
Ronan can't wait to ride. We can't tell her its spring yet, because we promised her she would get a bike in the spring, and that can't happen until Ottawa. I love her enthusiasm. I decided to try to get her a mechanic shirt in her size for our wrenching. So far, I haven't been able to find one online, but worst comes to worst, Danielle's dad says he'll get one made when he goes to Korea in the summer. I want to get her a patch with her name on it that we can move from shirt to shirt as she grows. You know, classic gas station style. She loves wrenchin, and I am sure she would love to wear a special shirt when we work on our bikes - this is a routine for us mondays and wednesdays after mtb rides. Last year she actually cried when she say Brownie covered in mud; she thought it was hurt. I guess the way I care for the bikes really registered for her as reflecting something like subjectivity. I am happy to instil a sense of respect and care for things; this is actually one of my goals. So far so good, except for when she throws food on the floor in the kitchen and says its for the birds!
Tuesday, April 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
brain injury?
Yeah, you know, concussions and all that come with them. What got me thinking about memory, identity, and time was when I suffered a concussion at the BMX track years ago, then kept on asking Danielle the same questions over and over again in the hospital. Very little short term memort there. The thing is, you can be conscious with very little short term memory, then 'wake' up when you regain the continuity of memory. It feels like you are waking up, but you've actually been awake. This is really weird. Having this experience more than once, and also struggling some with my memory generally has been the background for the development of my interest in the ways memory, consciousness of time, and identity relate. My interest in photography comes out of the way we commonly use photographs to reinforce memory and identity through manipulation of time. For me, this is an ethical issue. So my head traumas have not been as severe as what many others suffer, but severe enough to make me think.
So brain injuries can help teach people how to think...interesting.
Post a Comment