Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Poem of the Day

I'm not really into poetry in a big way, but I really like this poem I encountered in a reading this morning.

A rhyme's
. . .
a barrel of dynamite.
A line is a fuse
that's lit.
The line smoulders,
the rhyme explodes -
and by the stanza
a city
is blown to bits.

Mayakovsky, 1926

10 comments:

D said...

I can appreciate it on one aesthetic level (the intellectual, formal one), but on another level (for lack of a better term, 'embodied' level), it's a little destructive for my taste. The power of the word, y'know.
To each their own...

Anonymous said...

Little known fact:
Jamie Pold is into poetry........






BIG TIME.

Matt with the hair said...

Ok, that may be a fact, but is it true?

Matt with the hair said...

Cause if it is, I think we should start a poetry reading group once I am back in Ottawa.....


BIG TIME.

Anonymous said...

Jamie is an incredible writer with passion only few can emulate. Ask him about his latest writing, "carnivour heights"

Matt with the hair said...

I will; bet on it! Why doesn't Jamie post it here?

Anonymous said...

I watched as he weeped while reading from his scrapbook. Wild thoughts were rampant in my brain mixed with both erotic and fatherly emotions. I wanted to sweep him up and put him inside me...

croskery said...

jesus, thats hot!

Anonymous said...

My computer screen is all steamy. Hey Anonymous, what do you look like?

Anonymous said...

What are looks but a superficial wound, seeping with terror and self doubt. We all deserve to look deeper into the ripples and cracks - thats where you find truths.