Friday, January 12, 2007

On the site's name


The name for this blog derives from an idea that came to me while reading an article for the Philosophy of Technology seminar Danielle and I are doing this semester: I suggest naming a future or yet unnamed trail: Chreod - the necessary path. It comes from a specific ecological theorization, but can be deployed more generally - think of the manner in which a river's path is determined by chance, history, and necessity. I think the term 'chreod' captures the interplay of each factor in one word. I see it as applicable to a trail like 'The Other Woman' or 'Evergreen', where each of these factors shaped their trajectories, and in fact continue to do so. As we stream over and through these trails, we too take out own 'necessary paths'. This is of course, also applicable to the manner in which we live our lives. Chreods.

1 comment:

Pascii said...

The intergration of the chreod of anything leads to it's state. Likewise, one can derive the state of something from its chreod.
Hence the shit eating grin and the endorphin rush that appears after I ride 4play or Multiple and the spitting and swearing that comes from my mouth after riding up Death March or down Jacob's Ladder.