Wednesday, January 24, 2007

An Insidious Plot

Ok, not so insidious, but it is a plot. Building on last year's adventure to Brown lake, I would like to try doing another ride to the cabin, but on road bikes this time. I am thinking it would be fun to roll out to the infamous 'gravel climb' at the western end of the park and work our way back to Brown, past Lac Phillipe. What I am really thinking is a freeroadie type thang, on big or even knobbed tires. This would allow flexibility in route, and the opportunity to explore some of the trails that must exist out there. So we'd loop to Brown lake for the night, then ride to town the next day on whatever route - we could do it almost exclusively on dirt from there. I think the ride to Brown would certainly not need to be all that tough; we did the whole loop in one day in August and it was fine. No need to pace fast. Thoughts? Takers? We'd need to book the cabin in advance, which means we'll need to sort ourselves out by March.

Edit: Here are the maps I have.


14 comments:

Pascii said...

I am soo in.
dare we do it on fixies?

Should we try to get one of our wonderful wives to come up with supplies or are we roughing it?

croskery said...

candace and I could be in. Lets talk further.

Matt with the hair said...

Wicked. I hadn't suggested fixies initially, because I want as many people as possible to come, and fixies seem exclusionary. However, I would love to do it on a fixie. When we hear back from the others on interest, we can see about it.

Non-riding wives/husbands/lovers/partners/girlfriends/boyfriends ar sooo invited to come up and hang and help us out with the food. The food was so good last time! Danielle would be down with coming with Ronan if she could get up there. If this doesn't materialize, we can 'rough it' by bringing freeze dried food - water is already there. We'd just have to bring daypacks.

Greg, I really hope you and Candace come. The point of getting the discussion going now is to try to accomodate everyone's needs in terms of timing, distance, etc. If you want to discuss particulars over email, cool, or you can post here, so that everyone has access.

Rodd Heino said...

YoYo
I'm in too
fixed or broken
whatever
here's some pics of my xtracycle delivering some hot chocolate for the santa claus parade up and down bank st.

Pascii said...

I say we stop for a dip in one of those lakes along the dirt road. I also say that there certainly is enough room in that cabin for any wives and, more to the point, KIDS that want to meet us there. It could be kind of a family affair? Any comments from those with no kids?

croskery said...

I will start to get Candace excited about it. I will tell her its a race and she'll be there.

I will look forward to the ride - it will be a good test to see how good my winter training was.

So far, I have dropped about 10 solid pounds and I haven't felt better in years. It kind of freaks me out.

Matt with the hair said...

I just lost what I wrote, so here is the short version.

Pascal, I totally agree on both matters. I'm thinking touring pace is the way to go, and the appropriate frame of mind, which of course means swimming would be a perfect fit. Unless its raining. Lets see what others think about the family thing; I know I'd like it if fams came.

Greg, sounds like a good strategy (laughing). Congrats on shedding 10lbs already! That's fast. No wonder you feel it. Cool how that is a positive reenforcement to keep at it. If you do the Almonte Roubaix at the end of April you'll get to enjoy your training that much sooner. I sure hope I can make it for that.

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Road ride would be cool. Fixed would be cool. Swimming would be cool. Spouses, ankle biters, dogs and russian mail order brides would all be cool with me (even better if they'll work as sherpas)

croskery said...

What are you talking about, "swimming"? Won't it be freezing or am I missing something? As for the family thing - bring em out. I can't wait to get them kids drunk!

croskery said...

Oh never mind - I just re read you letter. August should be fine. For some reason I was getting it confused with the Roubaix date.

So swimming - Perfect! I'll wax my back and everything!

Matt with the hair said...

Hehehe. Back waxing = baxing.

I think you are still confused Greg. We did a ride out to the Eastern part of the park last August, but I am thinking more like June for our outing to Brown. The lakes might still be brisk, but I'm sure this won't matter if it is hot. If all goes well, perhaps we'll want to do another weekend on mountain bikes in September.

croskery said...

Ah, in June. I think I will keep the hair, cultivate it even.

Anonymous said...

Mark - did you really say sherpa? Ha! I'm going to have to work on my endurance and lung capacity for this years outing.

Anyway, I had a great time last year and would be totally willing to shuttle all the non-hardcore bikers / food up to the cabin.

Matt with the hair said...

hehe, I think Mark was being a little loose with his language there. No sherping will be asked of non-riders; your presence will be gift enough. Unless you want to sherp of course, in which case we could load you up and put your quads to the test! Still gotta set a date, so let me know whether you are booked up at any point in June.